For those who own a RV, they have already invested a great deal of money into their vehicle to leave it exposed to the weather elements and chance vandalism. Many RV owners turn to storage facilities to provide them with a safe place to store their vehicle, help keep the vehicle from harsh weather and others are forced to store their RV because of neighborhood rules or lack of space in their home. Regardless the reason, an owner will want to make sure they chose the best storage facility in their area. Make sure to give the following items a thought when finding a place near your RV storage:
- Indoor vs Outdoor storage. The first major difference between storage facilities is the option of indoor and outdoor storage for large vehicles like campers and RVs. Most storage units offer some type of indoor storage for vehicles but not many have large enough units or overhead car port for large vehicles such as an RV.You need to ask yourself is indoor storage in necessary or not for you. If you live in a mild climate, chances are it is not necessary. If you live in an area that has harsh winters you may want something that will protect your rig a bit more.
- 24 Hour Access. Another important factor that may help you decide where to store your large vehicles is what hours you have access to the facility. Some storage units only allow you to access your property during set hours while others allow you 24 hour access. This is important if you need to start your trip early in the morning or you return from your trip late at night. If you can not park your rig when needed you may be left in a jam.
- Video Surveillance. Believe it or not, some storage rental facilities do not offer video surveillance on all areas of the facility for 24 hours. Some offer surveillance just at night or only on the lockers themselves and not the lots where the vehicles are parked. Other storage facilities also only video tape the entrances and that's it. So if your RV was to get damaged or broken into, you could not prove that it was someone just because they entered the facility that day. I would strongly recommend finding a storage facility that offers video surveillance on the parking lot where your vehicle will be parked.
- Storage Specials. Although most storage facilities are very comparable in their monthly price, they differ greatly in the specials they offer. Some offer deals on the amount of months you sign up, some offer referral specials, some offer first months rent free or even cash discounts. Make sure to compare the storage specials as well!
- Storage Perks. This last one is minor but could make choosing a self storage unit a bit easier. When it comes to RV storage , many storage facilities offer perks such as a complete wash before and after each pickup, a battery and tire pressure check when necessary some even offer dumping of the sewage tank for you if requested. These small things may make your storage experience more enjoyable.
The amount of money invested on a large vehicle like a RV is very great. Make sure to protect your investment by choosing the right storage facility. Beside your checkbook, keep in mind the above storage perks.